Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Non Traditional Christmas Music


Each year I wade through an assortment of Christmas music, some decent, others not so much. When you've worked in radio longer than a few years, or more than ten, you start to dread Christmas time because you're forced to have to listen to the same 20-30 Christmas tunes each and every day for a month leading up to the holiday itself. I remember a time when "Jingle Bells" and "Silent Night" were enjoyable. It's gotten better lately, but I think you'd agree with the overplay of Christmas music.

One thing I've been on the lookout for over the past few years is Christmas music that's original and inventive. I've also been searching for interesting interpretations of classic Christmas songs, as a way to present the season's sounds and tastes to you listeners in new and creative ways. I think I've found some yummy little morsels for you this year.

Our first hour of Christmas music is coming up this week on The Appetizer, and we'll present some non-traditional and original tracks from some artists you've heard of and some you haven't. If you haven't heard Colbie Caillat's "Mistletoe," Otis Redding's "Merry Christmas Baby," or the Killers' "Don't Shoot Me Santa," then you'll definitely want to check it out.

How about Christmas classics in a new style? I'm a fan of bands taking something old and adding something new to it. Here's a taste of what I'm talking about, and something you can look forward to in our next program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8

No comments: